Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Why Do I Do That?


Okay, this is kind of a silly memory. Schuyler and I went to Atlanta for the weekend while we were staying in Georgia for a few weeks. Guess what? Atlanta is kind of cool. We enjoyed it there. This was pre-Levi, so we partied it up in Buckhead, which is a really cool club/pub district. We really had a lot of fun. This is me in some random club with (this is the silly part)... I have no idea. The thing is, when I go out to clubs or busy bars, I tend to make friends with random strange women. I have no idea why. I'm not one of those types I've read about that gets drunk and makes out with women (is that still a cool thing to do by the way, or did it phase out?). I just make friends with them. I get a little tipsy and strike up conversations with women, never men. This is especially weird because I'm normally kind of shy. So do any of you amateur psychologists out there have any theories about why the heck I do this? I'm dying to know what you think.

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I don't know why, but I do think it says a lot about you. It says that you are secure with yourself, in a womanhood kind of way, and aren't threatened by other women. Which is almost a rare thing, in my observation, especially in a club setting. (then again, you were there with your husband, so what do you have to be insecure about? But still.) We women compare ourselves to other women so often, and have bought that bill of goods about how we should look. A club is usually full of 'she's skinnier than me, she's prettier than me, she looks better in her clothes than me.' It takes a secure person to be above all that. And want to make friends in a club! I think that's really, really cool.
And again, with the 'you were there with a guy' thing -- guys aren't there to make friends. (So I've been reminded.) So you're not probably going to get all chummy with some guy with Schuyler hanging off your elbow. What's in it for the guy?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

thanks, kate. Yeah, I know why I don't talk to men in clubs. They seem to all be after sex, and they tend to make me feel really uncomfortable.

12:47 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I (used to) play that game -- only, seriously, it wasn't a game to me -- where I would pretend to myself that you COULD have a cool conversation with a guy in a bar. I like talking to guys. At the time, it seemed easier. (I'm kind of into women now, myself, though as you said, NOT IN THAT WAY. No idea if that's trendy for anyone above college sophomore age.) My friends would have to remind me that men weren't at bars to make friends. I want to live in a world where you can strike up a random, cross-gender friendship. That's my idea of heaven. Partly.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ryan took me to Atlanta for my birthday (Valentines Day) three years ago and it was SUCH a great time. So many things to do. We stayed in a shwank hotel on Peachwhateveritis Street and did a million things there in the city. Such a great time. Thanks for reminding me ofit all!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home