Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Monday, September 05, 2005

On a Cute Little Car


This is a picture of me, my sister Claire and my brother Peter in front of my very first car. No, we were not giant people, the car really was that small. It was a Honda 600. The 600 refers to the engine size - 600cc. I believe that it was the first car Honda made, they just stuck a car chassis over a motorcycle and called it a car. I absolutely loved it. Down a big hill I could get it up to almost 80mph and up a hill I could get it to almost 30mph. Sometimes, if my passenger was willing to press up on the bottom of the radio, I could pick up a few AM stations. I would get gas every couple of weeks and $5 filled that puppy up. One time, during school, some boys turned the car sideways in the parking spot so that I couldn't leave. It was still inside the lines, but just barely. I had to find some more boys to turn it back for me. One of my friends was not allowed to ride in it with me for safety reasons. Her mom bought her a huge volvo wagon. On hot days, the rear view mirror hung limply and I couldn't use it, but it would work fine when the weather cooled down. It was a four speed and I learned on an automatic. My mom gave me one lesson and then I drove it to school on my own. It was not an easy stick to drive either. I killed it three times on the way to school but then I was fine with it. I think that there are some people from my high school that still remember me as the girl with the little green car. I do miss it sometimes, but only nostalgiacally, I wouldn't really want to drive it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

That is the coolest car! It reminds me of the Superbeetle we had when I was a kid. We went camping in it. We had all 3 kids in my family + a friend. My littlest brother rode in the "pocket" in the back. And we towed all of our gear in a little trailer specially made to be towed by a VW Bug.

6:47 PM  
Blogger kate said...

TOO cute.
Thanks for the memories! They are really cool reads. (so, what happened to the car???)
And where is that snowy picture taken?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Well, my mom bought me the car and my dad decided that I needed a safer car and bought a toyota, so we had to sell the honda:( The picture was taken in our yard at our house in Yakima. Actually, Moxee which is a "suburb" of Yakima. I think that it snows a little more in the Yakima Valley than in the Columbia Basin, but still not all that much.

3:28 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Oh, yeesh. I dunno. We had plenty o' the snow when I was there.
It looks prettier in your yard, though, somehow. :) Looks like you actually have TREES in Yakima!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Yup, famous apples even, all thanks to irrigation.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home