Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Poetry Thursday

Child

Your clear eye is the one absolutely beautiful thing.
I want to fill it with color and ducks,
The zoo of the new
Whose name you meditate--
April snowdrop, Indian pipe,
Little

Stalk without wrinkle,
Pool in which images
Should be grand and classical

Not this troublous
Wringing of hands, this dark
Ceiling without a star.

-- Sylvia Plath

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Very cool.
Did she ever have a kid? Sorry to be crass, but all I know about her is that she wrote some really random stuff and killed herself.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

She had two kids, Freida(b. 1960) and Nicholas(b. 1962). She divorced her husband in 1962 and wrote and cared for her two very young children by herself. She killed herself in 1963.

9:05 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Wow, thanks. I can't imagine taking care of two young children all by myself. Let alone find time to work.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home