Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Free stuff?

I found this. Obviously, it is hate-filled, but I was wondering what you think about the idea presented, from an ethical standpoint. It doesn't feel right to me, but I'm not sure it's exactly wrong. They are offering the stuff for free. I don't think I would feel great about taking a free DVD of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but maybe if I got that and A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality, it would be okay. I do feel a morbid interest in seeing what that book says.

5 Comments:

Blogger [REDACTED] said...

Well, having seen it several times on a plane to Japan, I have to say the following...

If you want to prevent homosexuality in your children DO NOT LET THEM WATCH THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE! It is filled with allusions to dirty sodomite stuff. Plus one of the main characters is named "Edmund" which is only the gayest name in history.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

Hmm. I must think on this.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

By the way, if you find this kind of thing interesting (mean-spirited yet thought-provoking and wickedly funny), you should definitely read Ellis' masterful graphic novel series, Transmetropolitan. I have the whole thing in trade paperback and you're welcome to borrow it any time. I don't know that I can go on record as endorsing the methods of Ellis and his characters, but I can't deny that I enjoy reading about them. (For those of us who often feel like, "What can I do about the evil in the world?", there's a certain appeal to the idea of striding boldly into the seats of power wielding a bowel disruptor and a wicked grin.) :-)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmmm... One part of me is cheering them on saying, "Stick it to them!" But I could never do it myself.

I mean yeah they're saying they want you to have the materials sooo badly they'll give it to you. And, they're certainly an organization I'd like to see funds drained from. Buuuut, I think I'd rather continue to have conversations with people and respectfully persuade them not to buy crap from that organization rather than take advantage of them - even though they offered it. I guess it's just not my style. :-/

10:51 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Hm. Yeah, I think it's wrong. Same with taking a Street Sense without paying (donation only suggested). Same as cashing that check for $2.50 that you get in the mail from the disabled veterans. Etc.
Then again, I don't seem to hold the same vitriol that some seem to against this organization. Still, I can't think of any org that I'd like to torpedo in this way.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home