Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

On Tradition

I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school (K-8) where there was a very Dead Poet's Society-like emphasis on tradition. Of course I rebelled against it in high school and embraced a noncomformist point of view based somewhat on my very limited reading of Thoreau. I also liked the science/philosophy technique of questioning everything and making no assumptions. I have since been wary of anything that is done purely for tradition's sake.
I look at religions/denominations that attempt to push their traditions on everyone and it boggles my mind. I have always had a really hard time understanding why they would place so much importance on tradition.
For example, I was an altar girl, but my stepdad made me quit when he found out that the Pope thought that there shouldn't be altar girls because girls can't become priests. I asked why girls couldn't become priests and the only answer anyone could give me was, "It's always been that way."
That was never a satisfactory answer to me, and I'm sure that the Catholic Church actually has a better reason, but none of my Catholic superiors knew about it.
Now my church is considering a name change. Many of us are very reluctant to change it. It's a four year tradition. It goes against many of my thought-out beliefs to make myself see where those reluctants are coming from, but I can. I completely can. I am coming to an understanding that tradition is not only about being afraid of change and about doing things in the same way as those who came before you. It is about heritage and about feeling a connection to the past and about honoring where you came from. I don't pretend that this is a sudden, name-change-based revelation. I have grown up to this realization through learning about my own past and heritage and that of my husband and his family. The name-change issue helps me to put words to this realization.
I guess growing up starts to blend the blacks and whites that youth sets out. I see now that, while it is important to "question everything," sometimes the answer you return is, "There is no reason to do this other than tradition, and that's okay. I can enjoy tradition for tradition's sake." I also still believe that sometimes we do need to let go of tradition in order to make way for something better.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

What ON EARTH is that previous comment about... BAAHAA! So bloggers get spam, too, huh?
Anyhoo. Geez. I can't even remember what your post was about.
Oh yeah -- tradition, and changes. Just wanted to say, good stuff. I like your conclusion a lot.
Best wishes for continued ascendancy, Maggie! *snicker*

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home