Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I Was Worried that He Would Break my Heart, But I Didn't Think it'd be this Soon

So the FISA bill passed and Obama voted yes on it. That makes me cry a little. I guess my hopes were just too high.

I can think of three reasons he might've had for voting yes.

1. He didn't want people to say that he's weak on terror. He thought that that was the most electable response. It's all part of the game. It's okay to sacrifice a principle or two in order to get elected.

2. He gets a lot of money from the telecom companies.

3. He really believed that voting yes was the right thing to do. He is a big believer in the power of compromise. Everything in his statement is honest and sincere. He thinks that this is the best thing for our country right now.

I am having a really hard time believing that number 3 could be true. I wish I could believe it. Some of the reasons that I can't include: my feelings on the subject, Obama's own past statements on the subject, the votes of Hilary Clinton and others against it, and the biggest: there is no way that he could actually believe that, had this bill failed, the Republicans would've simply let FISA expire and stopped all wiretapping. His statement says that he thought that this compromise would be better than having no wiretapping. Seriously? He thinks that would've happened if the bill failed? I can't buy that.

So, for now I'm simply hoping to God that number 2 has NOTHING to do with it and resigning myself to number 1. I must've known it on some level, but I'm still saddened to learn that he's nothing more than another politician. The only change that will be effected should he win the presidency is the change it's reasonable to expect when an average politician takes over from an evil one. I'm teaching myself to harden my heart, to be more cynical and more disillusioned. Having illusions is a bad thing, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger P3T3RK3Y5 said...

i'm with you on this maggie.

i still believe his heart is good on much - i'm hoping this is pragmatism in action (of the el numero uno flavor) - however this certainly tarnishes the veneer.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home