Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Life's Not Fair

I read this article today and it made me really depressed. People in Haiti are making cookies out of mud because they can't afford food on $2 a day any more. God, that makes me feel like crap. Here I am, on a freaking diet because I'm one of those fat americans people are always talking about. Sitting in my warm house at my computer wishing I could afford one of those iRobot Scooba things that mop the floor so that I don't have to do it. And, what makes it even stupider is that I have credit cards, so if I really wanted to, I could buy 50 of those stupid floor cleaners. And I don't even think Haiti is one of those countries you hear about that we try to help but the corrupt government keeps the aid from getting to the people. There might be more food in my trash can right now than one of those people will eat today. That just really fucking sucks.

I'm sorry about the expletive, but I think it was appropriate here.

2 Comments:

Blogger P3T3RK3Y5 said...

maggie

i saw this too - and it's been haunting me. i think what you said is right - how does this happen today? when i can go out and buy twenty different kinds of sushi.

p.s. next to this - its unimaginable what trader joes throws away.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ken Tennyson said...

Yes, that really sucks. I think the point, though, is to have plenty for everyone to eat, not to feel guilty that you do... Over the top consumption certainly plays a role in scarcity, but I think corporations and political policies that support aggressive capitalism are far more to blame...

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home