Nothing Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Virginia, United States

I am a white American middle class suburban housewife trying desperately to tell herself that that is not who she is. One time I was a glowing young ruffian. Oh my God it was a million years ago.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

On Harry Potter

There are less than 11 days to go until Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (HBP) arrives at my door and I am extremely excited. Now, now, gentle reader, I can only allow you to pooh-pooh me on this if you have read at least one of the books yourself and are not excited about HBP (seeing the films doesn't count). I was once in the boat beside you. My sister read the books and said, "Read them, they're awesome".
My husband read the books and said, "Read them, you'll really like them."
I said "Ha, those are kids' books and you like them, and I don't so I am cooler than you, ha ha ha."
Then, when there were four published books, I found myself with nothing to do and picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I read it in less than a day and was hooked. I found myself, four days later scouring the town for book number four at 11 at night and came to a realization: I had become a Harry Potter geek.
Now, with a week and a half to go before I can read HBP I regularly seek out like minded souls with spectacularly outlandish theories about what will happen in the series. I can't read enough editorials on my favorite characters and news updates about the movements of the great JK Rowling. Now, I have not yet succumbed to the nostrum of fan fiction in order to get my Harry, Ron and Hermione fix. Nor am I obsessed enough to buy Harry Potter bedding and/or wallpaper, but I am not above downloading a Harry Potter themed screen saver and diligently counting the days until July 16.

2 Comments:

Blogger [REDACTED] said...

Dang it Maggie, do you have to be that much better of a writer than me?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

excellent use of the word o' the day.
word.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home